Monday, June 20, 2016

June 20, 2016

What happened...? #OfficeElder

The news seems to spread out quickly, but just to start off this email I guess, I am the new Online Coordinator in the China Hong Kong Mission. That means that on top of being a missionary and teaching repentance and baptizing converts, I am constantly working on building new fliers, new ways to contact other people, giving out online referrals, stocking the place chalk full of Book of Mormons, and driving the Housing Coordinator around to work and fix on apartments. There is so much to do and so little time to do it in, so I am anxiously excited to continue in this good cause. I'm so happy with what's going on right now. There's so much to do and I'm hoping I won't fall behind.

So this week we did get to meet with 2 investigators which were both really good. Apparently it's hard to teach and do Online, but we will do it :)

We did do a Tim Tam Slam this week, if you don't know what that is then you have to ask my mom. :)

--Elder Chance Farr

 Since I monopolized his time last night, here's a bunch of the other details from my emails!

We live in the Temple. Mom, that apartment is literally the best in the mission (it's on the 2nd floor of the temple and President and Sister Lam live right across from them.). And we always can run the AC all day. Also we get AC in the office. So yeah, life is really really good. My new companions are awesome!! Elder Chan is a native, and so he's really fun to talk to. Elder Tseng actually leaves today, but he's super awesome too! They're both converts of like 3 years. Neither of their families are members, and they're super powerful. They're so much fun. Seriously, we just hit each other in the temple all the time. Also the work outs are in the temple which feels weird but it's ok. :)

Norton was baptized but I didn't go. Hou chaahm. So sad, but that's ok.

I do work a lot with President Lam, I have to do all of the online work, but hey that's fun. :) I build fliers (Yes I use Photoshop, I wish I would have done more in that before my mission) I take care of the Facebook page and all of the referrals as well. It's so fun, but it's super difficult.

Elder Chan works in the office with me, 2 pairs of couple missionaries, the assistants and President Lam of course. It's super awesome, I love it over here. We still do regular missionary work, we are always trying to make our time efficient so we can do things like that.

Funny story: We all hit each other so much in the temple. Man, it's so funny to watch. Elder Chan hits the hardest though, it's pretty great! (???)

Spiritual story: These days I've been thinking about miracles that have happened on my mission. Days where we were led by the spirit, like the day we went to the library to see JR, and the things I've been able to do and experience here.

Next week I start driving. I have to drive Elder Chan around to other places and apartments, but right now I don't have my license. Yes, I'm going to have a HK license here that lasts for 10 years. We also both have iPhones. A lot of people in Hong Kong don't know how to drive, it's like New York. They drive on the opposite side of the road. I've not met anyone in the mission that's from Hong Kong that can drive (not the elders or sisters anyway).

This is Gordon Lam and his older brother. He's super awesome. I miss him already!

Tim Tam Slam... Yep ^.^

Angelo and I one last time in Ma On Shan.

Angelo, Elder Farr, Elder Chu and Elder Wilcoxson

This is Ian, he's a less active in Ma On Shan, he's a nice guy. I love him so much. We're really close friends, he likes the same music as I do. He's super awesome, we've been teaching him a lot and take him to lessons pretty often.

Elder Chu, Elder Farr, Ian, Elder Wilcoxson

This is the view out the apartment window in the temple in Kowloon Tong. I will never look at my Hong Kong Temple picture the same way again :)

Chance and Yoshi Yu at the mission office

From left to right: Elder Farr, Elder Chan and Elder Tseng

And I got this picture randomly in email this week. This is Thomas.
So in the MTC we do a thing called TRC where we either visit with members or we Skype members to talk to them, and they let us teach them in Cantonese to help our language improve. So Thomas and his wife went there for us and helped us to learn. Right now he's visiting Hong Kong, so he saw me and we started talking about all the stuff going on and how crazy it was, and asked me if my parents knew. I told him I wasn't sure so he took a picture with me and sent it back. He lives in Utah, in Provo. He and his wife both served missions here.



No comments:

Post a Comment