Wednesday, January 27, 2016

January 27, 2016

Hey everyone! (Man, I just had the strangest feeling to say Elders and Sisters)

Life here in the MTC is very scheduled. My goodness has it been a long week, and yet it has flown by. So many good things have happened and so many things have been driving me crazy. Everything in the district is going pretty well, I'm sad to say that I'm totally sick today though :P No fun, being sick in the MTC. There's so much going on and it all moves so quickly, that I'm just going crazy! Definitely ready to make it to the field, and I've had a few people tell me my Cantonese is pretty good. there's an Elder here from Malaysia, and he speaks Mandarin, Malay, Cantonese and English. He saw my name tag and asked, "Ni Hao Ma" which is Mandarin, and I replied in my language, "Oh, excuse me, but I don't speak Mandarin. I speak Cantonese." His instant reaction in English was, "WOAH! Your Cantonese is freaking good!" Glad I could get my message across. ;) That was a cool experience, and definitely one I needed as I feel like I'm being pulled behind a boat and expected to drink the lake. ;) My other experience is when we went to teach TRC, and the woman there was from Heung Gong (Hong Kong to us!). We started teaching and getting to know her a little bit, and I said something a bit wrong and corrected myself (The difference in tones though.) and she instantly was like, "Wow, I didn't think you could correct yourself like that. You are all ready for HK already! Just send you out!" Of course, my response was "Gong daaih Wah!" (You speak big words, or liar) but she knew I was kidding. Sister Lau also said we were ready for Hong Kong and I feel like I don't know anything in this language. I can't wait to come home and just speak it, I'll be fine if I have a hard time speaking English!

One thing I found out is that because of Christmas we are scheduled on a 10 week course, not a 9 week course. So this will be an extended stay in the MTC. I'm happy about it though, it just means that I get to spend much more time learning the language, or Hohkjaahp Gungdungwa (Man that looks weird without tones).

I've decided to take it on myself to start learning ending participles, because that's how you show emotion, that's how you show the meaning behind the tone. It confused me for awhile that Sister Lau has no idea what tones are and that they're hard for her (She can't read Ping Ngaahm), but then I thought to my own language. Do we ever explain tonality to imply meaning? Nope! It's just something that comes naturally and it's the same way. I didn't even realize that our language used tones to imply meanings, but it does! Difference between a question and a statement! It honestly makes me think of sometimes at home when I'd talk to my mom and because of the way I said it she'd go, "Was that a question?" I hadn't noticed before that was the reason. Super weird huh? You start to learn your language better even though you're studying something completely different. Cool Right?! :D This gospel is so amazing, and every day I learn more about how much our Savior cares for us and the reason that we are called to serve. Isn't it great that the Savior designed missionary work? Because he designed missionary work, we benefit other people by teaching the gospel and we are raised up as well! Those at home know I love to serve people, and so I can't tell you how excited I am to share even more!

Also, sorry Dad, I told your first time skiing story. The zone thought it was a hoot! ;) (I told them that's what my language feels like right now!)

Thank you for all of the support that all of you send, I super appreciate every bit of it.

加油!!

方長老

--Elder Chance Farr

More from Mom...

Cool knowledge of the gospel: the word in Cantonese for Repentance is "Fui Goi" which means to regretfully change. We regret our decisions, but luckily Christ helps us to be able to change our ways and understand his plan for us, even if only for a second! (so appropriate)

The other day Elder Harding was throwing a ball at a wall, and he was laying on the floor, and he threw it a bit too hard and it hit Elder Caloobanan square right between the eyes while he was sitting at his desk! Dead shot, I can't believe that, hahaha!

(All of you who know about Chance's crazy-high singing will love this:)
I'm singing with a quartet of Elders in sacrament meeting soon, and we are singing "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing". I'm singing Alto and I realized that the notes were so confusing to the others when we're all down an octave, so my part now is a soprano harmony xD (I know they don't call it alto/soprano in a men's quartet) I'm super excited because I love the part that I have, I've realized alto is the most fun part to sing. Here in the MTC every time we sing to a piano I sing all 4 parts, one on each verse. It's been fun but I can't tell you how sick I am of singing "Called to Serve". I didn't ever think I'd get sick of a song!! XD (I feel like maybe this is why you shouldn't be in the MTC too long... Called to Serve shouldn't ever get old!)

(one more funny story:)
So when I was first getting acquainted with the elders in this zone, I decided to take a round wheel of Gouda that Grandma sent me and we played Residence Hockey with it and our feet. Afterward we ate the cheese, it still was delicious ;) (Um, ew.) So that's a story to tell my kids.

Only two pictures today:


This is the MTC Choir Chance sang with a little while ago.

Yeah we are rockstars. I'm the lead obvi with my nice coat ;) Jk hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment