Wednesday, January 6, 2016

January 6, 2016

Hello once again everyone!

We just completed week three in the MTC, and it's been a great but stressful time. Trying to learn the language is rather difficult, and I know that the spirit is consistently helping us even when we don't want to keep going, it's an amazing feeling. The spirit is incredibly strong here and I know God is preparing us for the work that we are about to face. I'm so excited to serve the people of Hong Kong. There's an elder in our Zone named Elder Shu, and his home is in Aberdeen, Hong Kong. Talking to him made me feel so awesome about it, and also just helped me to know that we are really doing good in Cantonese. He was shocked when I spoke to him in Cantonese, and he asked me how I had gotten such a good accent. I don't attest to say that it was me though, because it totally wasn't me, it was the Lord helping us for what we needed. Apparently there are some who come from Mainland China to Hong Kong that never sound as good as we do, which is good because I'd like to be understood. I feel like I should know more and at the same time there is no way I could know any more than I know because I'm doing my best.

To make a long story short, the choir director here asked for every choir member to turn in a slip based on their experience to join a selective choir. Long story short, I'm in. I get to sing for the MTC executives, as well as (or as far as I've heard) 6 of the Apostles of the church! I cannot tell you how excited I am to share my talent with those brethren (like our choir had the opportunity to do with Elder Oaks!) I feel so blessed to be in this place, I know my Savior is pushing us through all of this even though it's very stressful and sometimes beats down upon you with "Shafts in the Whirlwind." It's such a great time and even though the food kills me, I still feel like we are improving a lot!

See everyone next week (By the way, my PDAY changed to Wednesday!)

--Elder Chance Farr

--Also a note from the mom....

Chance's branch was shifted last week from the Hmong Laotian Thai Vietnamese Cantonese branch to the Mandarin/Cantonese branch, so that's why his P-Day changed. He also got the opportunity to play violin in Sacrament meeting this past week with Sister Hansen from his district. Funny story in his words:

"So we practiced last Tuesday, and the violin for whatever reason doesn't have a shoulder rest....
So we decided in our district that we are going to celebrate everyone's birthdays, because Elder Chin's was the 28th of December and so we wanted to celebrate everyone's. So for my birthday my companions stayed up (DISOBEDIENCE ;) ) and made me a huge block to put under the violin. I can't even tell you how much it hurts to play but it was so kind, and it's better than nothing, I love it and I wanna keep it forever! XD  It's made out of note cards stacked together sideways, rubber bands, and two instant towels."

I told him I'd send a real shoulder rest for the violin, so he can keep his makeshift one :)

Now, pictures!!

The District, in order of appearance:
Elders Farr, Harding, Caloobanan, Sisters Hansen and Gomez, and Elder Hagen

"This was our New Years party, we counted down til Quiet Time (10:15) but we were 3 seconds off XD! It was kinda funny, when we started counting down and as we said three, the ominous voice announced quiet time. It's pretty great, and these guys are way cool!"

No comments:

Post a Comment